11th Annual NGWSD Essay Contest
The NGWSD Essay Contest provides a creative outlet for female authors grades K-12 to express how sport has impacted their lives and communities. Writers should select from the following themes this year:
- I Believe For Me—share your sport dreams and what you want to become.
- Play with Purpose—we all participate for many reasons. Share why you engage in physical activity and play sport.
- #LikeAGirl—this can mean lots of different things, what does it mean to you?
Based on age of author, the following guidelines are provided:
Grades K, 1, 2
Draw a picture, then have an adult narrate your picture in 75 to 100 words. Winner will be awarded 2 passes to The Strong Museum of Play.
Grades 3, 4, 5
100 to 200 words in the essay. Winner will select a $30 gift card to Barnes & Noble or Dick’s Sporting Goods.
Grades 6, 7, 8
200 to 300 words in the essay. Winner will select a $40 gift card to Barnes & Noble or Dick’s Sporting Goods.
Grades 9 – 12
300 to 500 words in the essay. Winner will select a $50 gift card to Barnes & Noble or Dick’s Sporting Goods.
There will be one winner selected for each category.
Entries can be hand-written or typed. By submitting an essay, a parent or teacher of the author certifies that the essay represents the independent work of the child. Once submitted, the essay becomes the property of the SJFC, NGWSD Committee.
Completed essays need to include the following information.
1. Title of the essay
2. Full name and grade level of the author
3. Address of home and/or name of teacher and school
4. Email address of contact (if available)
ESSAY DEADLINE JANUARY 30, 2020
Dr. Emily Dane-Staples, SJFC
NGWSD – Essay Contest
3690 East Avenue
Rochester, NY 14618
Attach a file to an email sent to email@example.com
All questions can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please download a copy of our flier by clicking here