13th Annual NGWSD Essay Contest
The NGWSD Essay Contest provides a creative outlet for female authors grades K-12 to express how sport has impacted their lives and communities. Writers should select from the following themes this year:
- A Healthy Mind Matters – Elite athletes have begun to be outspoken about the importance of mental health; how your body performs is only one aspect of sport. Write about how you handle the pressure and stress of sport and work to keep your mind healthy.
- Then, Now, & Beyond – Since Title IX was passed 50 years ago, we have seen growth and an increase in opportunity for girls and women in sport. Write about what you think the next 50 years will bring or discuss what areas of sport still need more progress towards gender equity.
- Looks Aren’t Everything – Media coverage of female athletes often focuses on their body and attractiveness and not their athletic talents. Write about how you think female athletes should be covered in the media and what happens when women are more celebrated for their bodies than their athletic accomplishments.
Based on age of author, the following guidelines are provided:
Grades K, 1, 2
Draw a picture, then have an adult narrate your picture in 75 to 100 words. Winner will select a $20 gift card to Barnes & Noble or Dick’s Sporting Goods
Grades 3, 4, 5
100 to 200 words in the essay. Winner will select a $30 gift card to Barnes & Noble or Dick’s Sporting Goods.
Grades 6, 7, 8
200 to 300 words in the essay. Winner will select a $40 gift card to Barnes & Noble or Dick’s Sporting Goods.
Grades 9 – 12
300 to 500 words in the essay. Winner will select a $50 gift card to Barnes & Noble or Dick’s Sporting Goods.
There will be one winner selected for each category.
Entries can be hand-written or typed. By submitting an essay, a parent or teacher of the author certifies that the essay represents the independent work of the child. Once submitted, the essay becomes the property of the SJFC, NGWSD Committee.
Completed essays need to include the following information.
1. Title of the essay
2. Full name and grade level of the author
3. Address of home and/or name of teacher and school
4. Email address of contact (if available)
ESSAY DEADLINE JANUARY 27, 2022
Dr. Emily Dane-Staples, SJFC
NGWSD – Essay Contest
3690 East Avenue
Rochester, NY 14618
Attach a file to an email sent to email@example.com. Do not share a file through Google or another sharing app as there are issues with being able to access the file. If using Google, please follow their directions to download a PDF or Word file to be submitted.
All questions can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please download a copy of our flier by clicking here.